Here’s the latest edition of “K Noms”…it’s a yummy one!
I’ve seen multiple recipes that involve putting a veggie puree in to a muffin or cupcake. These particular green beauties caught my eye. Many recipes call for a from scratch cake. And if that’s your thing – go for it! But…here’s a super simple 3 (or 4) ingredient recipe.
- One box white cake mix
- A 4 to 5 oz package of spinach
- 1 Cup of applesauce
- A dash of vanilla (optional)
- Puree the spinach until mostly creamy.
- Blend the spinach with applesauce.
- Add a tsp of Vanilla (optional)
- Mix the now green applesauce with the cake mix.
- Drop in to a greased cupcake pan and bake according to the cake directions. I made mini sized muffins. So I baked at 350 for 20 minutes.
That’s it! The hardest part for me was making the spinach puree. Our blender is…a bit old and busted. I ended up using an electric chopper to get it mostly chopped, then I put the spinach and applesauce in to the blender for a final blend. That worked well.
The final texture is a tad spongier than a normal cupcake or muffin. The color is great, and most importantly…K loved them! I had to cut him off at 3, but he was asking for more!
I’m giving these an A-. The taste was great, and they were easy to make…but they ARE still cupcakes. This makes me wonder what other healthy ingredients can be mixed in…more to come! Here are a few pics!