Ten days have passed since K’s birth. Ten days since my body went through the most traumatizing thing it’s been through ever! (Or at least since I was the baby in that same scenario…)

Here’s an update…

I’m feeling surprisingly well. I’ve had only two naps in the last ten days, but am pulling some sort of strange energy from somewhere. I say strange because I’m normally the type who struggles if I don’t get 8 hours of sleep.   The pain has not been super bad.  More sore and uncomfortable than anything.  Although I occasionally realize I’ve over done it.

My bigger discomfort has been my belly. At first it was so saggy and floppy (how’s that for a visual) that it hurt when I walked. I ended up wearing jeans because they had the firmest belly panel. When I shrank down enough to wear my bella band I used that for a couple of days. But it’s gone down a LOT in the last few days. I still have a bit of a belly, but it’s not bad at all. And no soreness there remains.

The other belly pain has been the cramps and contractions I had during the early breastfeeding days. Literally as bad as some of my early labor contractions. Thankfully that seems to be subsiding.

Breastfeeding has gone pretty well. K has always latched well. It was a trying time to go through the colostrum days waiting on milk to come in. We ended up supplementing with formula a bit during days 2 and 3 because he just seemed so hungry. Even with that, he dropped from 7 lb 7 oz to 6 lb 12 oz. (Still within the acceptable range and he has since rebounded and gained even beyond his birth weight.)

On day 3, we were “cleared” to go home…as soon as he had a wet diaper.  We waited 14 hours for that pee. And as if I wasn’t physically and emotionally stressed enough, one dear soul chimed in with “just think, if you weren’t breastfeeding you could have him at home right now.”   Luckily my mom is a huge supporter of breastfeeding and was a great cheerleader.  J has also been very supportive, and for that I am grateful.

I’ve weighed him before and after feedings a few times the last couple of days and he’s getting between 2 and 3 ounces per feeding.  On track for this stage!  More importantly, I can gain comfort that he is eating enough by paying attention to him.  He has enough wet and dirty diapers, and is content for 2.5 or more hours after a feeding.  In fact it’s rare for him to go less than 3 in between, and at night we’ve had stretches as long as 4.5 hours.

Weight loss:
I have lost 17 of the 33 pounds so far. And with minimal effort. I’m drinking water like a champ, and breastfeeding is obviously helping. I look forward to being able to be a bit more active in the near future to get rid of the remaining pounds and tone up a LOT.

So that’s how I’M doing!  And since you probably stopped by to hear about K instead…I’ll attach a pic of our beautiful baby boy.   I know I’m biased…but is he perfect or what?